Saturday, September 18, 2010

Memories of Trap Jaw

Two of the figures I always wanted as a kid were Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops: but as fate would have it I never had them. Dad got me loads of figures during his trips abroad, but he missed out on these two. I don’t recall them ever being released in the Leo line, and that ensured that my Skeletor did not have two of his faithful henchmen.

I think what attracted me to this figure was his picture on the original card back, and his character in the mini-comic "The Menace of Trap Jaw". Now I know what you are thinking - how did I get hold of the mini comic without getting the figure? Well, back in India we could buy all the mini-comics as a set. I remember them being sold for a rupee each - of course a rupee did have some value in the 80s.

I wasn’t too keen on his characterization in the Filmation cartoon series though. I preferred his evil homicidal maniac from the comic books over his bumbling sidekick avatar of the cartoon series - except for the episode "Double Edged Sword" when he eats Eternium, Eternia's most powerful mineral which powers the Royal Kingdom, giving him power equal to that of He-Man.

Trap Jaw was one of my favorite characters in the 200x line as well, I loved the back story about how he used to be Kronis who was mortally wounded by Skeletor, and patched up by Tri-Klops.

The fact that I chose to photograph Classics Trap Jaw first shows how much I like this figure. I love the fact that the jaw is movable, and the head has the remains of his jaw. I also love the fact that they included a Kronis head - it would have been fantastic if they had included a weapon for Kronis, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment